California law provides compensation for the family of a wrongful death victim. What types of compensation are available and who may file a wrongful death lawsuit in Mission Viejo, Irvine or across Southern California?
Generally speaking, a wrongful death occurs when someone loses their life due to the negligence of another person or entity. Our laws provide compensation for the surviving family members including parents, children or the spouse of the individual(s) who lost their life. The compensation in a wrongful death case can include:
- All medical expenses borne by the family of the victim after the accident and before passing
- Fair and just compensation for any conscious suffering or pain your loved one may have endured
- Claim for lost wages or income, especially in cases where the deceased was a primary source of income
- Loss of time, love and companionship between a parent or child
- Loss of “consortium” or the special bond, affection and love between spouses
- Loss of inheritance
- Funeral costs and other final expenses
Nothing can or will replace the loss of your family member. A wrongful death action is not about placing a financial value on anyone’s life. It is about seeking just compensation for the family of a wrongful death victim under California law as well as needed financial support for the months and years ahead.
Usually we work with the family’s representative or the executor of the estate to file a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of qualifying surviving family members. Our clients value the 40+ years of experience Rivers brings to the table, as well as the personal and responsive manner with which we interact with all of our clients. We have a proven track record of successful outcomes in personal injury and wrongful death cases.
If you have lost a beloved family member in an accident due to another’s negligence we invite you to review the recommendations of our clients and the legal industry and contact us or call 949-305-1400 to speak with Rivers personally for a free consultation to learn more about a wrongful death action and all we can do to help your family. We manage all of the legal aspects of insurance and the case so that your family is free to support one another through this incredibly challenging time.